14 Feb 2020
Huawei claimed that the U.S. Department of Justice accusations were made to “irrevocably damage Huawei’s reputation and its business.”
The Chinese tech firm was charged for conspiracy and for plotting to steal trade secrets from U.S. businesses.
The U.S. Department of Justice stated that Huawei helped the Iranian government in domestic surveillance in 2009 when the country had protests in Tehran. Huawei’s alleged help was agreed in North Korea.
In a statement released on Friday, Huawei said, “These new charges are without merit and are based largely on recycled civil disputes from the last 20 years that have been previously settled, litigated and, in some cases, rejected by federal judges and juries.”
The statement continued, “The U.S. government will not prevail with its charges, which we will prove to be both unfounded and unfair.”
Furthermore, the tech firm is also facing other battles in the U.S. The business’s Chief Financial Officer, Meng Wanzhou was accused of bank and wire fraud.
Previously, Huawei was blacklisted in the U.S. after being considered to be a national security threat. Washington said that the firm’s equipment may be used by the Chinese government to spy on U.S. civilians.
The U.S. is calling for its allies to prohibit Huawei’s 5G equipment. Australia banned the Chinese tech equipment whereas the UK allowed Huawei to access some of its 5G mobile networks.
Read the latest news update: Oil prices steady, on course for weekly gain